The high street has in-turn retailer said it got it ‘wrong’ and blamed a ‘miscommunication’ for the widespread upset caused.
A leaked memo appeared on social media yesterday (March 14), stating that shop and warehouse staff should continue with their normal work duties if they were symptom-less – Wales Online reports.
As a result of the leaked information, CEO of Wilko Jerome Saint-Marc released a statement.
In the official announcement, he said: “When we get something wrong, we hold our hands up, admit it, and work to correct the situation.
“Today’s news has highlighted some miscommunication within our Covid-19 policies, and I wanted to reassure all our customers and staff that…
“Our advice to team members that have Covid symptoms/test positive is that while they’re no longer required by law to self-isolate, they should still stay at home and avoid contact with others.
“This will help reduce the chance of spreading Covid-19.”
It added: “We operate an enhanced company sick pay policy and support those team members most in need, including those with Covid-19. We’ll continue to look after our team members to the best of our ability.”
Wilko employs around 16,000 people and The Mirror yesterday reported that the leaked memo stated: “If you test positive for Covid-19 and feel well you can continue to come to work, if you feel too unwell to work, you should follow the absence policy.”
It comes after self-isolation rules were changed last month in England, despite criticism from public health experts.
The Government has also confirmed that free wide-scale testing is due to end from April 1.
In January, Wilko also confirmed plans to shut 15 stores in a move that unions warned could impact hundreds of jobs.