News

Shropshire maternity scandal: Boy left with ‘severe health problems after missed infection at birth’


A mum called for answers after her son was left with ‘severe health problems’ following his birth at a scandal-hit maternity unit. The final report of an independent inquiry into catastrophic mistakes made by Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust was being released today, Wednesday, March 30.

One of the shocking findings included families being blamed for the death of their babies. Other newborns were left with severe brain damage, it was discovered.

The report into the Trust – currently ranked inadequate by regulators – was led by maternity expert Donna Ockenden. The implications of the findings are expected to impact the whole of NHS maternity care.

READ MORE: Mum died on holiday in Jamaica as ‘morning sickness’ turned out to be fatal condition

Ms Ockenden’s team examined 1,862 cases, mainly covering 2000 to 2019, making it the largest inquiry into a single service in the history of the NHS. One mum who called for change following the report was Rev Charlotte Cheshire. The 44-year-old from Newport, Shropshire, said her son Adam, now 11, looked unwell after his birth in 2011 but her concerns were dismissed by staff at the trust.

When it was finally discovered he had Group B Strep infection, he was rushed to intensive care where he stayed for almost a month. Ms Cheshire, who is suing the trust, said her son had been left with multiple, severe health problems and should have received treatment much earlier.

She said: “What I’m ultimately hoping is that all of the families get some answers. And then, in our individual cases, about how it’s possible for there to be such systemic failings over so many years, with seemingly either no-one noticing them, or potentially them being covered up.



Rev Charlotte Cheshire with her son Adam Cheshire
Rev Charlotte Cheshire with her son Adam Cheshire

“So I’m hoping first of all for answers, but secondly, I’m hoping, as a result of Ockenden, there are genuine learnings. Not the sort of, ‘oh, we’ll learn and get back to you’, but genuine learnings to improve maternity safety – primarily first of all at Shrewsbury and Telford, but secondly across the country as a whole.”

She added: “I don’t want any other family to have to go through what we’ve gone through.” An interim report from the inquiry, published in December 2020 and covering 250 reviews, found a string of failings over two decades.

There was an unwillingness by Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust to learn lessons from its own inadequate investigations, leading to babies being born stillborn, dying shortly after birth or being left severely brain damaged. Several mothers also died due to apparent failings of care.



Rev Charlotte Cheshire
Rev Charlotte Cheshire

Ms Ockenden’s team of investigators found some families were wrongly blamed when their babies died, were locked out of inquiries into what happened, and were treated without compassion and kindness. She also noted the trust pursued a strategy of keeping Caesarean section rates low, despite the fact this led to poor care and severe consequences for some families.

In the interim report, Ms Ockenden noted that for around 20 years the Caesarean section rate at the trust was consistently 8 per cent to 12 per cent below the English average – something that was held up regionally and nationally as a good thing. The review team were left with the clear impression “there was a culture” within the trust to keep Caesarean section rates low, because this was perceived as the essence of good maternity care, the study said.

The NHS was reported to have already paid millions of pounds in clinical negligence claims against the trust. Det Chief Supt Damian Barratt, of West Mercia Police, said: “We launched an investigation in 2017 to explore whether there is evidence to support a criminal case against the trust or any individuals involved and this investigation remains ongoing.

“This is a highly complex and very sensitive investigation that has required us to speak to a large number of people to gather as much information as we can. We are also consulting with a number of medical specialists to ensure our investigation is thorough and that the best possible investigation is completed for the families involved.”

He added: “No arrests have been made and no charges have been brought, however we are engaging with the Crown Prosecution Service as our inquiries continue. Our thoughts remain with the families affected, and we can reassure the community that when there is an update on our investigation we will share this with the families involved first and foremost, and then to the wider public.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.